The true impact of a COVID-19 outbreak in our community is unknown at this time. However, at Knoxville Institute of Dermatology, we are taking the necessary steps to best decrease the spread of acute respiratory illness and reduce the impact of COVID-19 in our workplace. We are currently implementing strategies to protect our patients and staff while ensuring continuity of our daily operations. In doing so, KID is adhering to all guidelines issued by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), WHO (World Health Organization), as well as our local and state governments.
- Shortness of breath
Prevention Strategies as recommended by CDC:
- Practice hand hygiene by washing hands for a minimum of 20 seconds with soap and water
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
- Practice respiratory hygiene and cough etiquette
- Avoid contact with individuals who are sick
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth
- Social distancing
- Keeping a distance of at least 6 feet between you and others at all times.
- Avoid public transportation, airports, group gatherings, public events, parties, and other public occasions.
- Completion of 14 day self-quarantine if you have recently traveled internationally and/or to a high-risk area or have come in contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19
As a practice, we follow Standard Precautions as well as Transmission-Based Precautions daily to prevent and control nosocomial infections. At this point in time, we feel it is a necessity to implement additional protective measures to impede the spread of COVID-19. Below you will find a list of some additional enforced measures:
- All patients are screened at time of scheduling and check-in for any flu-like symptoms.
- Any patient presenting symptoms and/or have traveled internationally within the past two weeks will be asked to reschedule their appointment.
- Signage is present at entryway of office asking patients to return home prior to entering building if symptomatic and/or have traveled internationally.
- All employees who experience symptoms and/or have traveled to high risk areas are not to return to work until completing a 14 day self-quarantine.
- Hand hygiene and cough/sneeze etiquette is practiced by all staff members.
- Magazines and pamphlets have been removed from the waiting area.
- We are requesting patients arrive to appointments without friends or additional family members when possible to reduce the number of individuals in our waiting area and to be in compliance with the CDCs social distancing recommendations.
- Common areas including patient waiting areas, front check in and check out locations, bathrooms, etc. are disinfected with medical-grade sanitation supplies frequently throughout the day.
- All exam rooms are disinfected with medical-grade sanitation supplies immediately following each patient visit.
- Educational resources regarding COVID-19 and evolving guidelines provided to staff.
In the coming weeks if necessary, our physicians will have the ability to see patients remotely through real-time audio and video capabilities through our Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system in an attempt to further reduce the risk of transmission. Pocket Patient app download and WiFi/Cellular data are required. *
As always, we are committed to protecting the health and well-being of our patients, their families, our staff and the communities we serve. Thank you for your cooperation during this time.