An exciting role is now available with The Company of Biologists to enhance the community content on our journal websites and grow our social media presence in China through our new WeChat channel.
We publish five important journals that serve the biological research community. All have effective marketing and a good social media presence. We now seek to extend our community engagement, increase awareness of our charitable activities and build on our connections with early-career
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated team player to support us in this initiative, which is initially planned as a one-year position as we determine future directions. Working with experienced marketing and editorial teams, you will be responsible for accurate and engaging short-form
content for the journal websites, generating WeChat content for our growing China-based audience, and writing stories about our grant recipients. We are open to new creative ideas.
Core responsibilities include:
• Engaging the scientific community through the journal websites and social media channels.
• Generating dynamic content ‘snippets’ to draw in readers.
• Developing our new WeChat channel to engage China-based researchers.
• Measuring usage and online behaviours to assess and guide strategies.
• Working with the marketing and editorial teams on other community engagement content such as video interviews and educational materials.
The successful applicant will have:
• A science degree, ideally in a field relevant to one or more of our journals.
• Experience with scientific communications such as social media, marketing or outreach.
• Ability to write accurate and engaging summaries for the non-specialist.
• Experience with a web content management system to create and publish web content.
• Experience with metrics (such as Google Analytics).
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Confident networking abilities and strong interpersonal skills.
This is an exciting opportunity within a well-established publishing company. The role is based in our attractive modern offices on the outskirts of Cambridge, UK.
The Company of Biologists (biologists.com) exists to support biologists and inspire advances in biology. At the heart of what we do are our five specialist journals – Development, Journal of Cell Science, Journal of Experimental Biology, Disease Models & Mechanisms and Biology Open – two of them fully open access. All are edited by expert researchers in the field, and all articles are subjected to rigorous peer review. We take great pride in the experience of our editorial team and the quality of the work we publish. We believe that the profits from publishing the hard work of biologists should support scientific discovery and help develop future scientists. Our grants help support societies, meetings and individuals. Our workshops and meetings give the opportunity to network and collaborate.
To apply, please send your CV by email to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a covering letter that states your current salary, summarises your relevant experience and explains why you are enthusiastic about this opportunity. You must be able to demonstrate your entitlement to work in the UK. Applications should be made as soon as possible and by 21 June (late applicants may be considered).