- Starting today Nov 23, 2017 and ending on Jan 31, 2018
- 6 categories:
- Engineering Ingenuity
- Physics Bending
- “Crash Test” Recreation
- “Community Creations” Recreation
- Vanilla Epicness!
- Modding Epicness!
- Win Skin Sets & Space Engineers T-Shirts and Hoodies
Now that the release of our Major Physics Overhaul is in the hands of the community, we’ve decided that it’s time to kick off a new contest with physics and engineering as the focus. It’s been great seeing what people have been able to achieve since this update released so now is your chance to really show everyone what you are capable of! You can read more about last week’s update on my previous blog post.
For those of you who couldn’t watch the Major Physics Overhaul developer livestream,
here’s the recording:
We are launching the Physics & Engineering Contest today with a number of different categories. The prizes include in-game Skin Sets, Space Engineers T-Shirts, and Space Engineers Hoodies! On top of that, some screenshots may be added to the official loading screens or even printed on canvas and displayed in the KeenSWH offices!
The Screenshot & Loading Screen Competition proved to be successful, we received more than 200 submissions and we picked 12 winners from 4 categories:
This contest will run until the end of January 2018. There will be five categories and each will have three winners.
Entries can be submitted in a number of different formats. Preferably, we want to see mind-blowing videos of your creations but you can also submit workshop worlds and high resolution screenshots.
Across all categories, we want you to capture the original visual styling and feeling of Space Engineers. Please see my blog post for more details and advice on how to achieve this original look that we are looking for. We are working internally to get back to this visual style, both in-game and in marketing/public presentation.
Because we are already in the process of switching to a new sky-box, you can use it as well before it is officially released
- Each player can submit 1 entry per category
- Deadline for submissions is January 31, 2018
- Tasteful manipulation and enhancement of videos and screenshots through editing software like Premiere, Photoshop and gimp are allowed, as long as the source was in-game.
- Across all categories, we will be looking at the composition, colors, story and uniqueness of the shot.
- Screenshots and videos must have a minimum resolution of 1080p but the higher the better! Use the guide below to capture screenshots in a higher resolution than your monitor. 4K and above would be great!
- Some winners may have their images added as official loading screen or printed onto canvas and used in the KeenSWH offices!
- By entering the contest, you agree to follow all rules of the contest. If you don’t submit according to the rules, you can be disqualified.
- All entries of the contest become the property of Keen Software House. This means we have the right to use and modify your entries in our game, on social media, on our websites, etc.
- We reserve the right to modify, cancel, or postpone the contest for any reason.
Winners of each category will get to choose complete skin sets of their choice.
- 1st Place: 3 Skin Sets & Space Engineers T-Shirt & Space Engineers Hoodie
- 2nd Place: 3 Skin Sets & Space Engineers T-Shirt
- 3rd Place: 3 Skin Set
What to show?
Even though each category will have different requirements, there a certain aspects that we are looking for across all entries. These include physics, engineering, destruction, deformation, pistons, rotors etc. While an entry does not need to cover all of these aspects, it should have at least one of them being showcased by your design. Space Engineers has some of the most advanced game physics in the industry. You are able to create and engineer things not possible in any other game, and this is what we want to see!
- Space Engineers – Being Industrious
- Space Engineers – Magnetic Grappler
- Space Engineers – Space Balls Everywhere
(Ordered by preference) – It’s up to you to decide which format to use!
- World (Steam Workshop )
- We encourage users to use our F4 screenshot functionality as it gives much higher resolution screenshots.We have added a screenshot resolution multiplier settings in the in-game options to allow users to take 4K and higher screenshots on lower end systems.
How to submit your creation
- Send the link with your creation to our email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Physics & Engineering Contest”.
- Please also clearly state which category your submission belongs in and include a link to your Steam profile.
- Deadline for submissions is January 31, 2018
- By myself and the Space Engineers team
Show off your engineering prowess with this category! Solve unsolvable problems… physical puzzles, unbelievable constructions …most wild physical construction…
For the second category, we are interested in creations that are not possible under normal physical laws and/or under Space Engineers’ physical laws. Just how crazy can you push the limits of realism?
“Crash Test” Recreation
Recreate scenes of your choice from the “Crash Test” trailer from 9/2013. This category is for people who think they can recreate the legendary scenes from the initial release. The good ol’ days! They don’t necessarily have to look exactly the same as the originals but they must follow the same visual style rules or tell a similar story.
“Community Creations” Recreation
Recreate creations of your choice from the “Community Creations” trailer from 10/2014. This category is for people who think they can recreate the legendary creations from the initial release. The good ol’ days! They don’t necessarily have to look or function exactly the same as the originals but they must follow the same visual style rules or be capable of similar tasks.
This category is about creativity! The only rule is to follow the guidelines of our art style guide. You could design a fleet, a planet base, or even just show some epic destruction! We’re always blown away by the creativity of our players, so show us what you can do with our vision!
The 6th and final category is almost identical to one above with the difference being that you can use as many mods as you like! We want to see what you can do when harnessing the full potential of the Steam Workshop and the thousands of mods that exist on the platform.
Everything in the game is subject to change.
We would be also very happy if you can submit your feedback at our Space Engineers Steam store page and encourage us to do better. We welcome both positive or negative comments, it helps us to create better game for you.
Thank you for reading and we look forward to seeing what you can engineer and come up with!
For more news:
Space Engineers: www.SpaceEngineersGame.com
Medieval Engineers: www.MedievalEngineers.com
General AI Challenge: www.General-AI-Challenge.org
AI Roadmap Institute: www.RoadmapInstitute.org
Keen Software House: www.keenswh.com
Marek Rosa is the CEO and CTO of GoodAI, a general artificial intelligence R&D company, and the CEO and founder of Keen Software House, an independent game development studio best known for their best-seller Space Engineers (2.4mil+ copies sold). Both companies are based in Prague, Czech Republic.
Marek has been interested in artificial intelligence since childhood. Marek started his career as a programmer but later transitioned to a leadership role. After the success of the Keen Software House titles, Marek was able to personally fund GoodAI, his new general AI research company building human-level artificial intelligence, with $10mil.
GoodAI started in January 2014 and has grown to an international team of 20 researchers.
At this time, Marek is developing both Space Engineers and Medieval Engineers as well as daily research and development on recursive self-improvement based general AI architecture.