The Cosmetic Surgery Clinic reviews your filler options for best results.
As we age, and as a result of sun exposure, hormonal changes, and other lifestyle factors, our skin begins to lose hyaluronic acid and collagen, resulting in fine lines, hollows, wrinkles, folds, and a loss of fullness and elasticity. Luckily, dermal fillers can help restore lost volume and minimize these telltale signs of aging non-surgically, and usually, with almost no downtime. Treatments are quick and easy—the dermal filler solution is gently injected into target areas to lift and plump the skin—and provide a lasting and natural-looking solution to many of our most common aging woes.
If you’ve been considering a dermal filler treatment, you likely know that there are several fillers to choose from; so many in fact, that one of the most common questions we’re asked about this treatment is “how do I choose the best dermal fillers?”
At The Cosmetic Surgery Clinic, we offer many of the best dermal fillers on the North American market, each with different characteristics, to treat a wide array of concerns. The truth is, the aesthetic eye, technical skill and experience level of your injector is more important than the brand of filler used. Our Beauty Nurses are experts; they’ll review your facial anatomy, the area(s) to be treated, and your goals before making a dermal filler recommendation.
With that said, we understand if you’re still curious about each filler’s unique properties, so we’ve created a handy overview.
Hyaluronic acid fillers
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a complex sugar found in all living cells and an important component of the skin, along with collagen and elastin. Produced naturally by the body, HA retains water like a sponge, absorbing more than 1000 times its weight. This helps to attract and maintain water, hydrate your skin, and increase its volume and density. Because HA production slows as we age, dermal fillers are meant to restore or ‘fill the void’ that the loss of this naturally produced HA presents. Many dermal fillers are composed of this ingredient in gel form, which slowly dissolves over time, and eventually is absorbed by the body.
The purest dermal filler available on the market, Teosoyal® contains a high concentration of HA and minimal amounts of protein and bacterial endotoxins (less than 0.2 EU/mL). This purity of ingredients ensures a limited risk of inflammation, redness and swelling, and the high concentration of HA results in a durable, long-lasting effect; results last a year or more in many patients.
Teosoyal is an ideal choice for facial contouring, and can treat a variety of other areas including:
- Marionette lines
- Mental crease
The JUVÉDERM® line of dermal fillers are soft, replenishing injectable gels made from HA. They work by combining with the water in your skin, and their smooth consistency allows them to be administered easily and evenly to provide results that look and feel very natural. Results typically last 1-2 years depending on the product recommended and the area being treated.
The Juvéderm products we offer include:
- JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA®: designed specifically to restore natural-looking lip volume, define lip contours, treat oral commissures, and to smooth fine lines around the lips with built-in lidocaine anaesthetic. It is also often used in tear trough rejuvenation.
- JUVÉDERM® ULTRA™ XC & ULTRA™ PLUS: smooth-consistency injectable gels with pain-reducing lidocaine to instantly smooth away wrinkles. These facial fillers work to enhance and define lips, cheeks and jawline.
- JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA®: ideal for restoring lost fullness and enhancing the cheeks and chin for a more youthful look.
- JUVÉDERM® VOLIFT®: used to gently restore natural-looking fullness to smile lines.
The BELOTERO® range of hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are specially formulated to easily integrate into your skin for long-lasting and natural-looking results. In addition to filling out wrinkles, Belotero hydrates the surface of the skin to keep it looking fresh and youthful. Belotero dermal fillers are ideal for smoothing and filling wrinkles as well as for lip augmentation, skin rehydration and for restoring facial volume. To enhance your comfort, the Belotero products we offer are available with lidocaine, and results typically last 6-8 months depending on the product recommended, and the area being treated.
The Belotero products we offer include:
- BELOTERO® BALANCE: for the smooth correction of your moderate to deeper etched-in lines and can also be used in tear trough rejuvenation.
- BELOTERO® INTENSE: fills and lifts deeper folds and wrinkles.
- BELOTERO® VOLUME: for natural volume enhancement.
The Restylane® line of hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are formulated with two patented technologies: NASHA™ technology—which creates a precise, firmer gel texture intended for a more pronounced lift—and Optimal Balance Technology™—which creates a softer gel texture, allowing for smoother integration into the tissue for natural-looking results. This allows your Restylane treatment to be customized for your unique goals.
The Restylane products we offer include:
- Restylane® Refyne: fills moderate wrinkles and folds and can be used in tear trough rejuvenation.
- Restylane® Defyne: provides lift to enhance facial contours and smooths pronounced wrinkles and folds.
- Restylane® Lyft: shapes facial contours, corrects folds and enhances the lips.
- Restylane® Volyme: restores age-related volume loss in the cheeks.
- Restylane® Kysse: enhances the lips by adding volume for a balanced and natural look.
RADIESSE® dermal filler is made of calcium-based microspheres suspended in a water-based gel. Unlike other dermal fillers, it also stimulates the body to produce new collagen, so even after your body has processed the filler, results will continue to develop over time. The soft, natural-looking results appear immediately and last up to a year or more.
Radiesse is an ideal choice for adding volume to the cheeks because it can be used to treat large surface areas in one procedure. It can also treat a variety of other areas including:
- Marionette lines
- Nasolabial folds
- Mental crease
- Hand rejuvenation
If you’re looking for more information about the best dermal filler options, schedule a consultation with The Cosmetic Surgery Clinic Beauty Nurses today.